Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Lost Cousins

We have quite a number of second cousins on the Jellen side of the family. Originally, I had thought that only our grandmother and her brother Simon were the only Jellen siblings who had children. As you may remember, Simon had three children: Joseph, Morris and Evelyn and they in turn had a number of children. Here's what Simon's family tree looks like:


I did find a marriage announcement for Edward Jellen, who married Marjorie Koff in 1970. It mentioned that Edward was attending the Boalt School of law at UC Berkeley and that they would be living in Berkeley. I haven’t found any other information on the others. I thought for a while that I located another Jellen – Gabriel Jellen who was a cellist with the LA Philharmonic. The music connection was what prompted me to investigate, but he doesn’t appear to be related, at least not that I’ve been able to determine.

An index to British vital records is available online through the General Register Office. Through this research I found that another brother, Jack Jellen, also had children. He became a step-father to 8 year old Gerald when he married Lilian Ely in 1924, and three years later he and his wife had a son Alan. Gerald became a journalist, but Alan inherited the Jellen musical gene and attended the Royal Academy of Music. He was both a composer and musician throughout his life. He married Joyce Booker in 1950 and they had a daughter Carol.

On a whim I decided to search the British Telecom online telephone directory for anyone with the surname Jellen. The one good thing about the research I’ve done so far on the Jellens is that it is a very uncommon surname in both the U.K. and in Belgium. (Not so in Poland!) I came across the name Joyce Jellen who lived outside of London. I had also learned that Carol had married Michael Edmunds and located phone number for her as well. However, I didn’t know for certain whether these were in fact, our relatives. So what did I do? One Saturday morning I picked up the phone and called the number I had for Joyce Jellen. And guess what – it was Jack Jellen’s daughter-in-law! I spent around an hour on the phone with her and what stories she was able to tell me about Jack, his wife Lilian, her husband Alan and her daughter, Carol! She then suggested that I call Carol and after verifying that I had the correct number, that’s just what I did!

So, probably unbeknownst to many of you,(it certainly was a surprise to me!) we have a second cousin living outside of London! This would mean that by my last count we have at least 8 second cousins whom we have never met. And I have not even spent much time trying to track down Joseph, Morris or Evelyn’s children. Does anyone else know where they may be today?

No comments: