Sunday, November 12, 2006

Mom's cousin Evelyn

My mom was close to her cousin Evelyn who was Simon's youngest child. Evy, as she was also called, was only 2 years younger than Iris. Evelyn married Corporal Harry Gershon on January 30, 1944. He later became a partner in the Beverly Hills law firm of Cruikshank and Gershon. I don’t know how long Evelyn and Harry were married; I found a newspaper article about a party for their 15th wedding anniversary, but by the time we moved to Los Angeles in the summer of 1961, I’m pretty sure that they were divorced.

I have vague recollections of visiting Evelyn once or twice. She attended my brother’s bar mitzvah in June 1962 (click on Additional Family Photos link for a picture) Two months later, on August 12, 1962 Evelyn died from a drug overdose. She left behind four children ranging in age from 3 to 14. Here's a holiday card that we received - I don't know the date.
We didn’t stay in touch with them so I don’t know what happened to them after their mother’s death; whether or not they went to live with their father, for instance. Neither did we stay in touch with Morris or Joe Jellen after Evelyn’s death, as far as I can remember. We certainly could have - Joe died in 1965 and Morris in 1986.

No comments: