Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hits and misses

It's my last day in Salt Lake City but since our plane leaves at 9:30 pm, I have most of the day to spend at the Family History Library. Hopefully, I will find the last few documents that I had set as my goal.

Yesterday was a pretty good day in terms of locating documents. I was able to locate and copy Bernard Jelen's birth record. I had an accurate birth date from both his naturalization papers and death certificate (it's so nice when birth dates are consistent!), so he was easy to find. Anna Jelen, on the other hand, still refuses to be found. One problem is her birth date - on one document she has it after 1901, which is impossible since she is in the 1901 Scottish census! Using information from the 1901 census puts her birth date at around 1894, two years after Bernard's. I found Bernard in Anderlecht, which is in the Brussels area. But no Anna.

I spent time looking for Henry and Cecile's marriage record - this time in Lieges, since that is where Germaine was born (I scored her birth certificate when I visited Uncle Leon in August). Unfortunately, I have yet to find their marriage record in the films that I've looked at. I'm going to re-look at some films today, in case I missed them. At this point, I've only been able to eliminate where they were married! (not Brussels, Anderlecht, Antwerp....) Since I had the film, I copied Germaine's original birth register since the one I got from Uncle Leon was a transcription done when Germaine probably got her passport.

Keep your fingers crossed for another good day searching!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This report is fantastic!! As the oldest grandchild (almost 75) of Cecile and Henri I probably had the most information about the family until Dede started her research. I knew my grandparents well as an adult and my children were Cecile's first great grandchildren.

Hats off to my cousin Dede for enlightening all of us.

Chris.Michael said...

Hi, i stumbed onto your blog through some latenight googling. My last name is Reichman, I know nothing about my family tree, so your blog is very interesting. Is the whole reichman family tree jewish?? I'm from a small town and have never met any reichmans outside my family. I wasn't aware it was a jewish name. please contact me, I want to learn more about my family name. chrisreichman@hotmail.com Thank you

Andrew and Jana Clan said...

Jellen from lomza is my line. none of the names are mine but am sure we're related somehow. my people are from dembrovo. have a jacob jellen on my line and one of the branches sounds familiar, email me if youu'd like. very tough reading russian polish records keep posting your stuff and if anything comes up will let you know. think i have seen the birth of one of your relatives... have been pouring over the late 1800's...

Anonymous said...

This is great information. I can fill in one of the "cousin" gaps by verifying that Gabriel Jellen, my dad, is the oldest child of the Joseph Jellen/Sara Ruth Schorr family. Hence Bob, Diane, and Elaine are my uncle/aunts. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to meet my grandfather Joseph or my grandmother Sara Ruth - she died of leukemia in the 1950s before I was born. My dad, Bob and Elaine live in LA and Diane is an architect in Las Vegas.

Unknown said...

Very Nice Blog !
I Like This Very Much.
Methods of Modern Farming
Duck keeping

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in making contact with Diane.
I am Robert Jellen, the son of Joseph Jellen and live in Southern California. You have done an amazing job of tracking all of my ancestors. Please email me with your contact information at strains@aol.com.

If anyone has Diane's contact information, please email me also. Happy Thanksgiving 2012.

Bob

Anonymous said...

I am also interested in contacting Diane as I have a client directly related to Bernard Jellen, also known as Bernard Victor Jerrold.