Sunday, February 18, 2007

Off to Salt Lake City!

I know that I haven't posted here in awhile - frankly, it's been hard to get motivated to write when no one has posted any comments. I had hoped that people would add their information, memories and thoughts - oh, well!

Anyway, in a couple of hours I fly out to Salt Lake City, home of the most incredible library for genealogy research - the Mormon's Family History Library. This is my third year there - I go with the ladies that I meet with monthly to talk genealogy. They've been going for years and have the routine down pat. We stay right next door to the library so we don't have to waste anytime getting there when it opens!

This trip I hope to at long last find my maternal grandparent's marriage certificate. Now that I know that their first-born, Germaine, was born in the city of Lieges, I can search there for Henri and Cecile's marriage. The prevailing memory was that they were married in Brussels, so I've spent lots of time looking there and the surrounding communities, plus Antwerp. Wish me luck! I am also hoping to find the youngest 2 Jelen siblings (Bernard and Anna) birth records. I now have a specific birth date for Bernard from his naturalization papers so I can narrow my search. Anna, on the other hand, will be harder as her age varies depending upon what document you look at. I'm going with the 1901 Scottish census as the best estimate, which would put her birth in 1894.

I am also going to do some research on my father's line. I will be spending time looking at records in Krakow for the Kollender family (my dad's mother's family). Polish records are such a chore especially the ones during the Russian empire. I'll need to get someone to write out Kollender in Cyrillic for me to help in the search.

I hope to post a few entries from SLC. The weather this year is fair - around 45 - 50 F with no snow forcasted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your post from SLC. Joyce